Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Reading for Distraction

By the time you are reading this, I'm probably being prepped for surgery. Yep, I'm having the left side of my thyroid removed and yep, I'm freaking out about it.
So in order to keep my mind off of the scariness, I've been reading a lot. I *should* be writing but I've been so preoccupied that I decided I needed to hold off on writing the rest of In the Shadows until my mind could really focus on things. It is almost finished though.
In order to maintain my sanity during this scary time I've stocked up on a crap ton of books. Because, like the main character of my book Lark and just about every other reader on the face of the earth, I read to lose myself in other worlds. It's nice to escape reality every once in a while. And lately, I could really use the distraction.
So I've been buying lots of books this week--paperbacks and ebooks alike. It's been a while since I've actually held a real book in my hand and I gotta say, I think I missed it!
Currently I'm reading WALKING DISASTER because I decided what better way to distract myself than spending a little time in the head of Travis 'mad dog' Maddox?
I'm enjoying his side of the story so far. Whoever was the first person to write in the POV of both characters was a freakin genius. I love experiencing the story from both sides it makes it that much more enjoyable for me.
I also got Abbi Glines BREATHE in paperback since it has extended scenes now (including Jax's POV) which I'm really excited about and hopefully I'm all healed up in time for Book Bash so I can have her sign it! (along with the Australian cover of The Vincent Boys that Komal sent me!)
I still haven't read Dan Brown's INFERNO yet but it's waiting for me on my bookshelf as well as Richelle Mead's GAMEBOARD OF THE GODS.
Not to mention all the Ebooks I have waiting for me on my Kindle. I'm basically bringing a backpack full of books with me to the hospital so whatever I happen to be in the mood for, I'll have readily available to distract me from the fact that in a matter of hours a surgeon will be cutting my throat open.

Okay, that's a little melodramatic.
*sigh* Wish me luck!

What is your favorite type of book to read when you need to escape? A specific genre or will any ole book do?

1 comment:

  1. I have a few go to's and actually they are historical romances. :) love a dark rider and the flame and the flower :)

    ReplyDelete